Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Adventures in Travel - Commuting Style

When I got on to the computer this morning to check that the trains were running before I set off for work I groaned when I saw the red "Cancelled" signs and warning message indicating that there were problems after Wimbledon with delays of "up to 30 minutes", which is SW Trains code for "bring a toothbrush and shaving kit" from previous experience. My normal route is into Waterloo, on the Waterloo and City line to Bank and then a five-minute walk to the office. A quick check of the bus departures showed that I wasn't easily going to be able to get to Morden and onto the Northern Line to Moorgate (and a short walk) so I decided to take my chances and see if I could make it to Wimbledon, which would get me on to the district line to Cannon Street (and a long walk).

Happily when I got to the station there was an unscheduled train waiting, presumably the apparently cancelled 06.12, so I hopped on that only to find that it was going to terminate at Raynes Park and not take me to Wimbledon. When the doors opened at Raynes Park most people bundled onto a train waiting at the other platform but myself and a few others headed to the bus stop, probably veterans of  previous commuting disappointments who thought that the train wasn't likely to be going anywhere anytime soon. My plan was to get a bus into Wimbledon and jump on the District Line to Cannon Street but as a number 57 pulled up I realised that it could take me to South Wimbledon and onto the Northern Line to Moorgate! Yes!!

That all went to plan and I happily settled into my seat but was roused a few stops later when the guard announced that the train controller was redirecting the train via Charing Cross and not via Bank as advertised. Half the passengers hopped off that train and onto the next one and settled in for the remainder of the ride in the hope of a peaceful journey. But no... at Elephant & Castle we were told that Bank station was now closed due to a fire alert so the train wouldn't be stopping. While that wouldn't affect me current journey I breathed a grateful sigh as my normal route would have put me on the way to Bank station, or now more accurately into the bus queues outside Waterloo.

Finally I got to Moorgate and after a short walk was celebrating my micro-adventure with a cup of tea. What was the net effect of my adventures? I was ten minutes later than my normal arrival time. Result!

So how did you get on with the trains this morning fellow commuters? Anybody see my tweet before they set out?

No comments: